Entrance Requirements & Guidelines 

If you’re not a U.S. citizen or you do not yet hold U.S. permanent resident status, you’ll apply as an international student. If you've submitted residency application documents to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, but have not yet received formal approval verifying that you have become a permanent resident of the United States, you're considered an international student. The requirements you’ll need to meet vary depending on your high school and college experience and the academic requirements of your home country at the time your application is submitted. You may also need to submit proof of English proficiency if your primary language is not English, or you attended school in a non-English speaking country.  

More Information for International Graduate Students

How do I apply?  

A completed application includes any required official high school and college transcripts, depending on your status; payment of an application fee (fee waivers are available based on financial need); and proof of English proficiency, if required. 

Transcripts From International Institutions

Official documents must be an original or a certified copy that's issued by the university or college. Each page must contain the original stamp or seal of the institution, the original signature of the appropriate school authority, and the date of issuance. 

The transcript must be a comprehensive record of all study completed, detailing courses studied and the grades (marks ) received. 

Degree or diploma certificates are required if the degree is not officially posted on the transcript. Degree or diploma certificates must indicate the type of degree awarded and the date of the award. 

Transcripts and degree certificates/diplomas must be submitted in the original native language and must be accompanied by an officially verified English translation issued by the university or college.

E-Transcripts are considered official if sent directly from the institution or transcript service to either University of Arizona department personnel or the Graduate College transcripts inbox at transcripts@grad.arizona.edu. PDF is the required delivery format. Electronic transcripts that require the use of an .exe file to open will not be accepted and an alternate delivery method must be chosen.

For those individuals whose university issues only one set of official documents, please be prepared to present those documents to the Graduate Admissions office for viewing after arrival and enrollment.

The Graduate Admissions office performs all international credentials evaluations in-house and does not accept evaluations from private credentials evaluation services in lieu of the original transcripts and/or diploma from the issuing institution.

Additional Admissions Requirements

Recognized domestic degrees: A four-year undergraduate bachelor degree issued from a regionally accredited institution.

Comparable international degrees: Check the link for country-specific degree requirements.

International applicants must apply at least five months prior to the beginning of the semester in which they wish to begin for those programs that accept applications on a rolling basis. This is to ensure enough time for evaluating the application and processing visa paperwork. Therefore, recommended deadlines for options with rolling admissions are August 1 for the spring semester and March 1 for the fall semester.

View additional information for international students.

Apply online, and remember to select your desired major or degree program.