Funding Options

There are several ways students are funded:

  • Some students come in with funding through an NSF pre-doctoral fellowship, Fulbright grant, host country sponsorship, College of Agriculture, Life and Environmental Sciences awards, or other fellowships.
  • Many faculty members will fund an incoming student within an existing grant, which means the faculty member provides a job for a new student to perform a subset of their research as their own graduate project. This is called a research assistantship and is the most common form of funding for our graduate students.
  • Some students supplement the funding they receive from faculty or teaching assistantships with grants and fellowships. You’ll find out more about how to apply for grants and fellowships, who is eligible, application deadlines and more once you begin your studies at the university.
  • Some students work as teaching assistants. Teaching assistant jobs aren’t guaranteed because they are dependent on department funding. Most faculty will give a teaching assistant position they have to their own students, but not always. Many students seek teaching assistant positions within other departments. The General Biology courses usually hire about 30 teaching assistants each semester and our students often get at least a few of these positions.
  • A variety of awards and stipends also are available through the University of Arizona Graduate College.
  • Federal student aid (FAFSA) also is an option if you need to supplement other funding you may have received

Western Regional Graduate Program 

Students in the Water, Society, and Policy master’s degree program may qualify for the Western Regional Graduate Program, which allows out-of-state students from participating states to pay in-state tuition. This program can substantially offset the cost of attending graduate school if you are unable to find adequate funding to cover your tuition expenses.  

Other Funding Opportunities